no_title_is_cool?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

5th

earlier today i was riding along the PIE, taking my friend home from work. i was on the 2nd right lane at about 60kmph in heavy traffic, following the car in front of me.

some bikes zoomed past me on my right, in between lanes. suddenly a car on my right poked his front out to turn into my lane. it was about 1 car length ahead.

the first bike swerved but the back wheel clipped the car. BANG! the sick crunch of metal on metal. the bike went left and smacked into another bike beside it, sending both to the ground.

OH FUCK, i thought. and immediately started braking. i could see pieces of their bikes falling off, as the 2 riders flew across to my left. their bikes were still on the right side.

and then, another 2 bikes who were just slightly ahead of me during the first crash ran into the bikes on the ground, sending them flying too. the sound of the crunching metal was disgusting.

all this must have happened within 2 seconds, and i was still desperately trying to brake while looking out at where the bikes and bodies were, to avoid being casualties #5 and #6.

fortunately, the momentum sent the 4 bikes and 2 remaining riders sliding across to my left too, clearing a little path for me to go through. because i have the reflexes of a cat, i safely made it through the wreckage.

i rode past the rider who had slid the furthest, but he looked to be getting up and was already shouting in anger. i considered stopping but there were still many cars behind me and i didn't dare to stop.

i didn't stop because i was also worried of seeing any of the damage on the riders' bodies. i may sound very relaxed now, but i assure you it was one hell of a traumatic experience.

when the 2nd bike went down, i was already preparing to fall and looking for the safest place to do so, and also prepare to slide out rather than flip over and fly. luckily i kept my cool and rode it out.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home