no_title_is_cool?

Thursday, December 12, 2013

tough choice

last month i went back to my secondary school because they were closing the campus for renovations/rebuilding, and there was some final-day celebrations going on.

it was the first time i've been there since the year after i graduated, and the place doesn't hold that much special significance to me but i figured what the hell, just go take one last look before everything is gone.

so i went there that night and first thing i found out was that the celebrations was just a very informal thing held in the canteen, of all places.

second thing i found out was that there was a lot of girls in the school now.

well i knew there were girls in the new integrated program or whatever, but i never ever thought it would be this many girls, and there was something really off about seeing all these girls in a (former) boy's school.

anyway for a while i felt very sorry for my past self, for he had been living without any girls in his life throughout his secondary school period. GIRRRRRLLLLSSSSS...

i soon came to realise that having girls around wasn't without its own downsides.

there was a mini-concert, and when i got there it was a teachers' band playing, with my ex-form-tutor in it. following that was a students' band.

what i quickly noticed though, was that the boys in the audience were all VERY boisterous and enthusiastic, singing and clapping along. when it was over they even started doing the school cheer and stuff like that.

what in the fuck is going on here? am i in the correct school? because i'm sure back then no one would give even a tiny fuck, much less singing and cheering. i liked it that way, we all just minded our own business and didn't have to pretend to care about things.

this must have been a direct result of having girls around, and their small number made it such that the boys had to try extra hard competing to get their attention, hence this bullshit actions that didn't exist before.

it made me think, would i like it if i were there now? on one hand, it felt so annoying, but on the other hand, GIRRRRRLLLLLSSSS...

6 Comments:

  • Oh wow, I didn't know SJI is now co-ed and closed for renovations. Would have went back to take a look. Though I'm not sure any of my teachers are still there, its been 14 years for me, grad class of 99. How time flies, I feel, when I read and thought about this.

    I can only remember a few of my teachers. Rosa Lau (form tutor sec 3/4), Thor Siew Khim (Chinese tutor), Clement Fernandez, Heng Guek Boon (sec 1/2 Chinese tutor, nasty guy, hate him) These are the "bad memories" ones.

    The nice ones, sadly only two, Mrs Ti (Physics sec 3/4) and Fong Ho Keng(sp?)(Geography sec 1/2).

    Ehhh, girls, wouldn't really matter either way because I am gay.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 14, 2013 1:05 am  

  • they are not co-ed. there are only supposed to be girls in the integrated program i think, my teacher said some of them were from sji international or wherever.

    recognise most of the names there but i've only been taught by CF, thor and heng. heng's the one who said #3 and #4 on my earlier post shit my teachers say...

    By Blogger cromber, at December 16, 2013 3:32 pm  

  • Oh, you were in Heng's Chinese class too? Unfortunately he was my Form tutor for sec 2. 3&4 was Rosa Lau like I mentioned. Only sec 1 form tutor was nice, Daniel Tan.

    Yea Heng Guek Boon is full of shit. I still remember he said, Superman wears his underwear outside, but Batman wears it on his head. His class was always time to fool around.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 17, 2013 4:16 am  

  • he was v strict and fierce when he taught us, but still lots of shit from his mouth.

    anyway do you agree that no one used to give a shit about this cheering and clapping and general enthusiasm or is it just me?

    By Blogger cromber, at December 18, 2013 12:27 am  

  • Hmmm, HGB wasn't that strict with us. Maybe he changed his style after our batch.

    Singing, cheering and clapping? I think we only did it because we had to. The teacher would lead, Sydney Tan would tell us to "11 CLAPS!" or whatever. I couldn't detect any enthusiasm from the masses. Only ever heard the school cheer during sports meets. Must have changed a lot, if the apathy of my(our?) time is replaced with such passion for the school.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 18, 2013 4:39 am  

  • passion for GIRRRRRRLLLLLLSSSSSSS

    By Blogger cromber, at December 19, 2013 2:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home