no_title_is_cool?

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

$$

both my parents grew up in not very well-to-do families, as were most families of their time. my father's family was probably a little better-off, but i really have no idea because i don't ever remember him telling us any stories from his past.

my mother, on the other hand, would tell us stories of her childhood. they were not exactly poor, but still had to scrimp a bit to make ends meet, especially in such a big household. she said my grandfather worked in a shipyard, and when he got his salary, he would first gamble with his colleagues (i dunno how often he did this).

if he won, he would buy good food back, and that was probably their only chance to eat such food each month. if he lost, he would come back empty-handed and lacking some money for that month's expenses, and my grandmother would scold him.

i am their first child, and by the time i was born, my parents were both working and earning a comfortable amount. however, they still retained their old mentality of being poor, so looking back, i feel that we were always thrifty and at the same time this also taught me the value of money.

it's not that they didn't spend, but everything had to first go through some careful consideration before they would part with their money, and all unnecessary expenditures were controlled, such as eating fast food or whatever. they were always willing to buy books, but when it came to toys, it didn't come easy. and being a kid, i would sometimes cry if i couldn't get the toys i wanted.

i remember one stupid incident where i wanted to buy some toy from the neighbourhood market and my mother just dead refused to get it even though i was crying all the way. it would probably have been easier for her to just buy it since now that i think of it, the toy probably costs less than $5 as it was one of those cheapo no-brand toys that you find in the market, but no means no.

the first 'big' purchase for my brother and i was the playstation, and to get it we had to go through so many rounds of cajoling and negotiation.

as the years went by though, my parents seemed to realise that they weren't poor anymore and started being more lax with their spending, be it on us or on themselves. by my sister's time, if she wanted anything, all she had to do was ask for it. my brother happily went along with the new ways too.

even though this option was open to me as well, i often felt this mental barrier and found myself unable to speak out when i wanted something. it just didn't feel right to have the things i wanted come by so easily.

but one thing i remember really asking for was digimon during the craze, and i had one of each from series 1 to 8. within a year, i started feeling so regretful for wasting that much money on this nonsense toy and it still bugs me till this day.

since then (10-11 years old), i've felt even more unable to ask for things, and most of the time i would find it easier to just save up my pocket money if i wanted anything. because of this i always think twice and three times before i spend any money.

these days i find myself being the thriftiest in my family and i just thought it was interesting how this came to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home